Life is Good

Thursday, February 25, 2010

So this is what it is like



My hub was deployed today, to an undisclosed location abroad. As I was experiencing the moments over the past two days, I kept standing back and telling myself, "So, this is what having your husband deployed is like."

Dinner out and snuggling by the fire with a good movie the night before.

An early morning as neither of us could sleep any longer in the wee hours.

Quiet, both of us going about the house; hub doing last-minute things, I looking for mindless tasks to do, the clock ticking ever closer to departure time.





Bags piled by the door.

Phone calls to family on the drive over to the base.

A parking lot surrounded by dated, dijon yellow buildings. Other camouflaged personnel entering through a black iron gate, the gate that would be the final moment for my hub and myself.

So quiet, so little activity for such a significant moment.

Many hugs and kisses goodbye; smiles, as many as possible.

I love my man. I am so proud of him. I think of all the other wives and families that experience deployment, how little I thought of them in the past.

But now I know what deployment is like.

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh...what a lovely post!!! Many many blessings to your husband. Thank you for visiting me the other day...your blog is lovely and I adore your wallpaper...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Oh, please please tell your husband thank you for his work, and thanks to YOU for your sacrifice. I really honor our service men.

    Your blog background is so great, too! Love the colors.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, my friend, your words brought tears to my eyes, because I know the loneliness of being separated from a service-personnel-husband. Keep the faith, and know that he will be home soon, safe and sound. Let us know if you need anything at all. We're here for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all so kind! I will send your good wishes to my Air Force man. Its so great that you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Allison,

    First: thanks ever so much for stopping by my place, ddna, for entering the giveaway, and especially for posting the Flea Market Round-up button! With the proceeds we raised, we will be able to build a bathroom or bedroom, and for a family who has nothing, that's something!
    Second: As the wife of a career AF man who was deployed for almost a third of those thirty years, in increments here and there to unknown destinations and amounts of time, I know very well what you are experiencing! It's hard and there's no getting around that. There's not. But, you will get through--passing the time, keeping busy helping others. And you'll be stronger for it. Feel free to email me any time if you want to commiserate! God bless you an watch over your man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been very hard to say goodbye. I feel for all of you with family in the service!

    I came by to remind you about the Vintage Easter Blog Hop. i will be putting the party post up on Saturday evening and then you can come by to link your Vintage Easter post. xo Joan@anythinggoeshere

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you have to go through this. :( I cannot even imagine how hard it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you both for your sacrafices-esp your husband :)

    ReplyDelete