Life is Good

Monday, December 13, 2010

#reverb 10 Day 13: Action

Prompt: When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)

My current foremost aspiration is to become a master teacher. I have started my master’s degree program this past fall, and it will take me through the 2011 year. It has been amazing so far. I have just finished my first two courses; I could walk away now and already be a better teacher. My perspective has been changed immensely. For one thing, my focus has gone from what I am teaching to what students are learning, which will in turn inform the former. I have learned how student writing will help me accomplish the learning and thinking I want to see happen in my science class. I have also participated in the magic of collaboration: I can see how working with others can help build my skills, create community, and provide support in an often solitary endeavor.

My action in 2011 will be a continuing along this path. I will make an extra effort to apply my new understandings and skills in my teaching as I go to do the best I can for my students.

1 comment:

  1. It's so cool that you can already see the impact of your coursework on your teaching!I bet you're a great teacher. You obviously care so much about being good -- that alone puts you way ahead of the others (in just about every profession, sadly).

    BTW, had a great time with you, hubby and the others Saturday! Thanks for the Christmas cheer.

    ReplyDelete