Prompt: What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul?
My soul food this year were tomatoes from my garden. I seem to be more of an armchair gardener, making great plans year after year, but I don’t “git ‘er done” so well. This year I planted three tomato plants and a fourth in my topsy turvy. I also put in a lovely basil plant next to them. I harvested rich, red cherry tomatoes as well as regular size. I don’t think I can eat store-bought tomatoes again. I didn’t know they could be so sweet. I threw them on hamburgers, in salads, ate them plain. I dried some cherry tomatoes for use the rest of the year, but I can hardly wait for the time to plant another round this coming summer.
What made them soul food, beyond being unbelievably delicious, was that I grew them on my own land (my square in the back yard) and with my own hands. I worked in partnership with Mother Nature to provide for myself. That brings nourishment to my soul as well as my belly.
No comments:
Post a Comment